The present building was designed by Hay and Henderson in their Early English style, and was completed in 1883 at a cost of £3,500. William Hay had been a pupil of Sir George Gilbert Scott (architect of St Mary’s Cathedral, Edinburgh).
The new Saint Paul’s Church was built at a time of unprecedented prosperity for the Scottish Episcopal Church and was partly funded by the Walker Trust which had already financed the building of the Episcopal Cathedral to the west of the city on Palmerston Place.
Two subsequent nave extensions have trebled the building’s original length, and the chancel floor has been raised and laid with marble. There is scarcely a single ornament, window or vestment in the church that was not paid for by donations or fundraising efforts.
The image above was taken from the balcony at the back of the church, and illustrates the roof’s hammer beam structure with wooden gargoyles. An unusual feature of the architecture is the locating of gargoyles within the church rather than the building’s exterior.