Art & Architecture: The Lady Chapel

Please click the thumbnail images for larger versions and descriptions:

The Lady Chapel

The Lady Chapel, built in 1905, is dedicated to the memory of Samuel Seabury, who became the first Bishop of the the Episcopal Church of the United States. A worshipper at Old Saint Paul’s earlier in his life, he chose to be consecrated in Scotland to avoid having to make an oath of allegiance to the British monarchy.

The Altar has carved gilt oak reredos surmounted with the Virgin and Child, and triptych panels depicting the Annunciation copied from Fra Angelico.

The consecrated Sacrament is reserved here.


Old Saint Paul's History

Samuel Seabury window in the Lady Chapel

See A History of Old Saint Paul's for more about our historical background.