Old Saint Paul’s Remembers the First World War 1915
Date Posted: Sunday 08 November 2015
The second, 1915, issue of Old Saint Paul’s Remembers the First World War is now sale. 40 pages in full colour, £3 at the church.
The Memorial Chapel in Old Saint Paul’s was constructed in the 1920s to honour the memory of the members of the congregation who gave their lives in World War 1. The chapel wall records nearly 150 names, 34 from 1915.
The World War 1 project’s primary aim is to identify the people behind the names, to find their regiment, their rank and number, how they died and where they are buried. Inevitably, however, research has uncovered much more than that, using Old Saint Paul’s records of Baptisms, Marriages and Confirmations, and other historical records, to provide an insight into life in the centre of Edinburgh, especially in the streets and wynds surrounding Old Saint Paul’s.