The Memorial Chapel was built in 1926 to honour those who lost their lives in the Great War. It also carries a roll of honour to mark the sacrifices of the Second World War with the names of the fallen from the congregation shown in brass letters on the wall.
The Chapel also contains the Martyrs’ Cross, a small iron cross that originally hung in the Grassmarket opposite the gallows and was the last object seen by condemned criminals before execution. It is thought that past members of this congregation may have been among those hanged in this way. The last Grassmarket execution was in 1784.